Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Year That Was

So it's been another year... But 2011 really wasn't just another year for me. This year has brought a lot of new experiences, new friendships, and new discoveries, albeit little, about myself.

I started 2011 thinking I was soon to embark on my last year of college and how I wanted it to be somehow a memorable last year in UST. Looking back, I can say my senior year has been more than I bargained for, and the great thing is, it isn't totally over yet. Before my days as a senior started though, I had to finish my internship for the summer. Having to wake up early to travel to Makati and stay at the office for 8 hours easily became a routine but it wasn't all bad. I made new friends in two of my batchmates who worked with me in the same company. One time we even made plans to meet with some of our other batchmates who were also working in the area and had time to share stories with some of whom we don't normally have a proper conversation with at school.

Then it was back to attending classes at school. I guess we are just really blessed that all of us in class have bonded, and thank God it happened during our last year together. From our retreat in Caleruega to going to Cebu and Bohol with the whole batch (which I'm going to talk about more a little later) and to having an all-nighter Christmas party, it has been one heck of an enjoyable semester with my lovely classmates and friends. One thing I learned this year is that even though it's hard for me to change my mind about people, it helps a lot when it's them who try to show you that other side of them you might like. Like they say, it takes two to tango.


But it wasn't all fun this year. It has also been a year of loss on my mother's side of the family. We lost my uncle and his son (several months after his father) both due to cancer. It was really sad since my cousin died just a few days before Christmas. But it's also nice to think that their suffering has stopped and both of them are now together in God's Kingdom.

Going back to the happier memories which so happened have all been crammed into my December. First is my trip to Cebu and Bohol which became possible thanks to my very generous brother! It was a 4-day fieldtrip for us 4th year ICS students. Those 4 days have actually been the longest I've been away from home, not to mention farthest, without my parents. Thanks to my amazing friends and classmates, I enjoyed every minute of it!!






And then came Paskuhan! Although it wasn't the best show I've seen, except for the pyromusical (!!!), I really enjoyed the company of my ever-on-party-mode friends!! It was totally a blast spending our last Paskuhan (as students) together :)



As I was very much thankful for a lot of amazing moments with my friends this year, I also got to spend time with my family, complete this time. My eldest brother and his family who are based in the US were able to come home for Christmas and spend the holidays with us. Although we didn't really get to spend each day together, we did have a special early celebration of Noche Buena last December 23rd. I've always wanted for us to be complete at Christmas once again ever since my brothers went on to start with their own lives so it was one big wish that came true, not only for me, but also for the whole family. :)



So that has been my 2011. All I can do is thank God for so much blessings this year: the company of friends and family, a chance to explore places I've never been to before, being able to re-connect with people I consider friends for life and lastly, having a healthy body, mind, and soul!

I leave you with this wonderful quote a friend shared on Facebook:
May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you’re wonderful, and don’t forget to make some art — write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.
--Neil Gaiman
Happy 2012!!! May this year be filled with as much, if not more, blessings for all of us! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment