Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Beauty of Solitude

Being alone and being lonely are two totally different things, I believe. One can choose to be alone, for personal matters, for example, but loneliness is a feeling that slowly creeps up on you, possibly without you even knowing it. Sure, sometimes, being alone can make you feel lonely, but even if you're in a crowd or with friends even, loneliness may keep you company. I myself have been in this position on more than one occasion, and you know, it really sucks.

But when you choose to be alone, it can turn your mood around. I've had my shares of alone times for myself: watching a movie, eating out, going shopping, even going to a concert! Some couple years ago I went by myself to see Katy Perry for the first time because I couldn't find anyone to go with. I never hesitated on going alone because I know I'd still have a great time because I'm seeing an artist that I love. And of course, I was right! I remember having such a huge smile on my face after the show even though my feet hurt so bad from standing for too long and jumping and dancing along to the music. It's still one of the best nights of my life. I always believed what they say, that happiness is a choice. And when you're alone, you can choose to enjoy it by doing things you love doing on your own or you can sulk in a corner feeling sorry for yourself.

Another perk of solitude is having time to think. For me, having a lot of time to think is a bad thing because I tend to overanalyze stuff. But I love having a moment to myself to just think things over, or clear my head, or simply appreciate everything in front of me, you know?

Talking about this reminds of something I read on Tumblr, which I'm sure you'll probably relate to more than all of my blabbering:
"I like being alone, but I hate the feeling of being lonely. When you’re alone, you have time for yourself. Your thoughts finally catch up to you. You set your mind on things and everything is just clearer. Nothing’s bothering you and everything just feels right for once. When you feel lonely, you feel as if no one’s there for you. It feels like no one understands you or is willing to listen. It feels like you’re screaming in a crowded room, yet not one person hears you." (Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment