Pages

Monday, October 26, 2009

Russian Roulette

Rihanna.

Wow, I could write a book about how much I love this chick. But why don't we simply get into much more pressing details? Yes, that's her new single called "Russian Roulette." Have you heard it yet? (Cool, I'm rhyming lol.)

Let's discuss what the song actually says, shall we? Okay. Russian roulette, from its general definition, means a game of chance. Specifically, it is a game where two players play with a revolver loaded with only one bullet. Whoever gets the bullet loses and the one who doesn't die wins. It's a pretty sick game, if you ask me, or anyone with a leveled head for that matter. This game was used as a metaphor for Rihanna's new song, which was co-written (the other writer being Rihanna) and produced by Ne-Yo. The song is basically about taking a risk in life, whether regarding love, professional decisions, etc. It's about taking the high road or going the hard way and risking what's most important to you even without knowing whether you'll succeed or not. If you would actually listen to the song and analyze how does it relate to the game Russian roulette metaphorically, you won't probably be misinterpreting the song as a "suicide anthem" or whatnot.

So, now that we have gotten that out of the way, let's talk Rihanna. :D

Rihanna, Rihanna, Rihanna. Well, what can I say? She sure did surprise me when she came out with this mid-tempo track as her debut single from her upcoming fourth studio album, Rated R. But in a good way, of course! I was one to wish that she will release more ballad-y songs like "Unfaithful" and "Take A Bow" from her previous album releases, and what do you know, she actually did! Unlike most people who were expecting another upbeat club banger from her, I was really happy that she chose Russian Roulette as her first single. For one, because I was dying to hear how her vocals have improved and RR totally delivered that for me. Secondly, I liked how mixed people's reaction were. You will really see how Rihanna releasing a song affected so many. And I actually liked that she wanted to get out of her league and try something different. That's once concrete thing I love about Rihanna. She doesn't follow trends in anything. It may be that she takes inspiration from different things but she does her business in her own way.

Now, not even a week later the song premiered, it has already placed in music charts. And those people who were saying that it won't be much appreciated by the general audience? Well, they're quite wrong. I've already actually seen more than a couple of videos on YouTube covering the song, whether singing it or playing it on an instrument.

It's just crazy the way Rihanna is being received by the world. And with this new album coming November 23rd, I rekcon the world isn't ready yet. Well, they have to be prepared 'cause this is about to be one hell of a smash album I can tell you.

Listen to Russian Roulette

No comments:

Post a Comment