Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Oldie but definitely a goodie

Just earlier this afternoon I was sitting on the couch watching Channel V and Backtracks was on. Usually, I don't sit through it because I know they play really old music that I don't recognize but every once in a while they do play stuff that I'm familiar with, like music I grew up listening to and enjoying, which actually makes me feel old. Anyway, the very first music video they played was of Alanis Morissette. I didn't know the song but the simple beauty of the melody struck me so I continued watching. The song was "That I Would Be Good".


Once I heard the lyrics, I knew that it would go straight to my favorites list. Why didn't I know about this song before? It was actually first released in 1998 from Alanis' fourth record Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie. Then, an acoustic live version of the song (video above) was recorded during a session for MTV Unplugged in 1999. It was released as a single for the album Alanis Unplugged the following year. Where was I in the year 2000? I think that was 4th grade and I was around 9 or 10.

As I was saying, I was simply mesmerized by the lyrics and its simplicity. I'm either a lyric person or a music person but more often than not, I guess I'm a lyric person and that's why I absolutely fell in love with this song. It just has that certain personal sense to it. No matter who you are or where you're from, I'm sure at some point you can or were able to relate to what the song says.

That I would be good even if I did nothing
That I would be good even if I got the thumbs down
That I would be good if I got and stayed sick
That I would be good even if I gained ten pounds

That I would be fine even if I went bankrupt
That I would be good if I lost my hair and my youth
That I would be great if I was no longer queen
That I would be grand if I was not all knowing

That I would be loved even when I numb myself
That I would be good even when I am overwhelmed
That I would be loved even when I was fuming
That I would be good even if I was clingy

That I would be good even if I lost sanity
That I would be good
Whether with or without you

No comments:

Post a Comment