Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hugo

I started this one-movie-a-day thing on Twitter (I use a hashtag) the other day just out of the blue since I have to catch up on the latest movies I failed to see in time due to my fully-booked schedule ever since the year started. Now that the school year is over for me, since I'm graduating (yes, by the end of the month!), I figured I should keep myself occupied by doing things I enjoy after working so hard to finish my last semester.


Anyway, my movie for the day was Martin Scorsese's "Hugo," a film set in 1930s Paris about an orphan boy who lives in the walls of a train station and is wrapped up in a mystery involving his late father and an automaton. After watching and enjoying the film, I now know why it earned Oscars for Art Direction and Cinematography, among others (the movie won a total of 5 Oscars and was nominated for another 6). I absolutely loved everything about the storyline of the film. I think what made me appreciate it so much was because it's a story wrapped in another story, and they sort of intertwine together through the main character, which is Hugo.

But it was Chloe Moretz's character, Isabelle, whom I loved from the very beginning. She loved books and using big words, and going on an adventure, which was how she initially became associated with Hugo.

One of the messages the movie was trying to portray is something along the lines of having a purpose in this world. These lines from the movie that depict that message specifically struck me:

"Machines never come with any extra parts. They always come with the exact amount they need. So, if the entire world was one big machine, I couldn't just be an extra part. I have to be here for some reason."
That certainly gives a soon-to-be-a-graduate like me more than a strand of hope that I am here to make a difference. I mean, I already believe that everything happens or is here for a reason but I guess, sometimes, little reminders like this are just what we need to strengthen our faith. And also, it gives us just that little push we need to figure out just what we are here to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment