Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

It's a Smash

Starting to watch a new show can be thrilling but what makes it so much more fun is when you reach the turning point -- the time when you obsessively love the show already! And what's even greater is when you have friends who enjoy the same show as much as you do!! I love musicals and Katharine McPhee (yes, from American Idol) so put them together in a TV show and you'd be sure to find out I'm an avid fan.


The show is called "Smash" and it's about building a broadway musical centered on the life of Marilyn Monroe. When I tell people about this show, the first reaction is always the same: "Is it like Glee?" Well, it's nothing like Glee. For starters, it's not about a high school Glee club. Smash is a different kind of musical. It's about real life, about broadway people and the experiences they go through when starting a new show. You may say it's how a Rachel Berry spin-off would be like once she graduates from a performing arts college. That's probably the closest relation it has with Glee.

So, as I've mentioned, Smash stars Katharine McPhee as Karen Cartwright. She auditions for the role of Marilyn but another character, Ivy Lynn (played by Megan Hilty), gets the part. One of the things I love most about this show, besides the amazingly good music, is how great the characters' chemistry is together. I just adore all of them. So far, I'm loving Julia (Debra Messing, Will & Grace) and her storyline, but not because of the whole adultery thing (you'll have to watch it for yourself!), it's just that I adore her and Michael Swift (played by Debra's real life boyfriend, Will Chase) together!

Now on to the music! So far there have only been 6 episodes so let me give you a taste of the wonderful songs that were featured on the latest episode of Smash, which are definitely on my favorites list:



And just for kicks, go and listen to the first original song aired on the show, "Let Me Be Your Star," I swear to you that song will convince you to watch Smash, if I hadn't done already. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment