Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Never Give All The Heart x 2

As I've mentioned on a previous post, SMASH (yes, that new addiction of mine!) gives me new music to listen to every week. And, Katharine McPhee's character, Karen's number on this week's episode is nothing short of divine. The song is called "Never Give All The Heart," and it has been on repeat since I watched it last night.


As a wise man once wrote
Never give all the heart
Well, it's easy to see
He was writing for me
I just wish I could play that part

Yes, he scribbled that love isn't worth thinking of
That it fades out from kiss to kiss
If I just learned those lines
Well, just think of the misery I'd miss

As the Irish man said
Don't put your heart up to play
When he warned of the cost
And the heart that he lost
Mister Yeats really paved the way

For the men that I've known
Who have clearly shown
They've been reading him from the start
'Cause when it comes to me
Well, their kisses come free
But they never give all the heart

Listening to the lyrics, I'm amazed at how good the show's songwriters and producers are able to capture Marilyn Monroe's true personality. I wasn't really familiar with Marilyn, "the person" before. Then, all I knew was simply Marilyn, "the icon." And then I saw this new movie about her, "My Week With Marilyn." And basing my grasp on her character from that very short glimpse of her life, I completely see the connection between what these songs from the show portray and the anecdotes I've encountered about Marilyn. Just like any woman who falls in love, she always gave all her heart but in her case, Marilyn never really gotten enough affection back. And that was the only thing she ever wanted, affection.

Also, one other thing that makes me love this song so much is how it's so inspired. (Once again, kudos to the talented songrwriters and producers!) If you listen carefully to the lyrics, a Mister Yeats is mentioned. I knew from the lyrics that the song was based on a poem so I googled the name. Sure enough, this Mister Yeats is the author of a poem called, yes, "Never give all the Heart."

Never give all the Heart
W.B. Yeats


Never give all the heart, for love
Will hardly seem worth thinking of
To passionate women if it seem
Certain, and they never dream
That it fades out from kiss to kiss;
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.
O never give the heart outright,
For they, for all smooth lips can say,
Have given their hearts up to the play.
And who could play it well enough
If deaf and dumb and blind with love?
He that made this knows all the cost,
For he gave all his heart and lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment